[RTTY] Windows API Question ...

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Dec 28 12:36:40 EST 2014

Can someone with knowledge of Windows internals tell me if the MODE
command (or the API equivalent) uses data type INTEGER for the number
of stop bits on a serial port?

We know that the baud rate is type integer - thus a serial port being
used for RTTY actually operates at 45.00 baud (+/- system or UART clock
accuracy).  However, my testing with several UART boards seems to show
operation predominately with either 1 or 2 stop bits and I'm beginning
to suspect an OS limitation.

The microHAM UART in DK II, MK II, MK2R+ and micro2R avoids an OS issue
by aliasing 45 baud to 45.45 and always using 1.5 stop bits for 5 bit
codes.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV