[RTTY] Kudos for FT5ZM Operators

Dick Kriss aa5vu at arrl.net
Mon Feb 3 17:05:39 EST 2014

The pile-up have been unreal but the FT5ZM operators have been very good and their consistency is appreciated.  The purpose of this posting is praise their consistency.

Shortly after I was able to hear FT5ZM on 20 RTTY, I sent my call twice UP about 5 and almost fell over when I saw “AAVU” on the screen.  I went back with my normal exchange and the operator was sending his standard exchange to another station. I copied the mail some more and the FT5ZM RTTY operator was very consistent about sending a "CALL 599-599  CALL BK” and this lead me to conclude the “AAVU” was wishful thinking on my part and I should try again.

Finally, hours later on 3-Feb-2014 at 0327z I got the real AA5VU 599-599 AA5VU BK, sent his report with a TU and logged it. Happiness, was seeing the addition of the 20 Meter RTTY “Greenie” on the next Club Log update next to the AA5VU CW and PH “Greenies.”

Again, the FT5ZM operators are pros and their consistency is appreciated.  By listening to their consistent patterns we know when to transmit; however, the big question is still where is UP? For FT5ZM on 20 Meter RTTY it was somewhere between 14085 to 14105. That's what makes DXing a challenge. I do not have a SDR or separate receiver to track the heard of callers up-the-band, so I parked the TS-590’s VFO-B up about UP about 8 (where is sounded semi-clear) and figured sooner or later the FT5ZM operator may tune across and hear my signal. I know this the old fashion hard way but sometime you get lucky if you park in the right spot! Some like to follow the last QSO and others like to figure the operator’s tuning pattern. The FT5ZM operators are good and it has to be hard to pull calls out of monster pile-ups and that is why they keep us spread out.  Kudos to FT5ZM operators!

Good luck to all that still need FT5ZM.  The pile-ups should settle down, there is still lots of time and other bands.  Yes, there are Cops, LIDs and Jammers too.

73 Dick AA5VU

Rare DX is the Country you have not worked. Once worked they are just DX