[RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?

Larry lknain at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 5 11:49:32 EST 2014

It would seem to me that both the caller and DX are subject to being
clobbered in the proposal. If I am up 2, the DX calls me up 2, there is no
protection if someone else decides up 2 is a good place and begins to call.
Depending on the new stations signal strength, propagation, et al, the DX
and/or I may get clobbered. Now I suppose if the new station actually
listened first he/she might have heard the QSO in progress and wait until we
complete before sending. There is probably a better chance under the
proposal that the new station would actually listen first but I am not sure
I would count on it. Too many times I might call N8PS and the number of
stations sending that have none of the characters in their call can be
amazing.

In theory today's split leaves the DX on a clear frequency so at least one
side of the QSO is clear. Obviously we are discussing this because the
theory has some problems.

73, Larry  W6NWS