[RTTY] Change in pileup procedure?

WILLIAM MARX bmarx at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 6 08:34:24 EST 2014

You reflected my thoughts perfectly...thank you.

I've had Towers, KT-34XA's and Kilowatts for most of my ham career(55 Years). In our 35 years old DX Club(SFDXA) we always advocated standing by for the guy who had not worked a rare one yet. Pushed for others to stand aside. We made phone calls to our club lists of who needed the rare one. We all worked hard to make sure everyone worked 'em once. DX Peditions used to say "for a new one only".

After Katrina I am still relegated to verticals through laziness and need, with DXCC 300 plus on all modes.(Honor Roll on 2). But in today's world of "Gotta Have it and gotta have it now', and with the interjection of internet, there is little we can do to educate new comers to the hobby, aside from voicing opinions on blogs and reflectors.

But that doesn't mean some of us don't still stand by those principals. I worked the FT5 once on 30 with my vertical, and watch as others chase the Challenge and all the other "gotta have it all" boards. with 18 or more contacts(modes, bands, hour of the day).

It is the evolution of ham radio as it is also in life. I'm happy with my one, and I get on with the other aspects of life. We all follow our own path in the hobby.
Bill Marx W2CQ