[RTTY] QSL et. el.

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Tue Feb 11 14:36:36 EST 2014

Over the years I've noticed how QSLing has changed. Once upon a
time ham exchanged QSL cards by post and occasionally in person.
QSL bureaus were established in various localities to reduce the
overall costs of exchanging cards and sometimes as a means of
assuring validity. So, there were two major ways, direct or via
'the bureau.'

Complexity of bureaus increased, with some requiring membership
and separating 'incoming' from 'outgoing'. Thus, depending upon
the volume, costs could not be effectively controlled. On line
services began to grow in volume offering "quick" turnaround and
little in the way of 'quality control.' User verification was
spotty at best and often there were complaints of "self created"
QSOs/QSLs by those 'skirting' the norms.

Now QSLing has two camps, which can be called: formal and informal.
The situation arises that either of these camps can be called
'certified' or 'verified'. It just depends upon who is doing the
verifying and certifying and/or who accepts the results of that
process. Confusing, isn't it.

It used to be 'hard cards' were verified and even so fraud existed.
Certainly fraud still exists. If someone sends me a card, I will
check my log and return a card. However, I rarely originate a card.
I send all my cards direct, not by a bureau. Number counting does
not appeal to me anymore, probably because of how seriously some
chase numbers. When number chasing becomes obsessive, to me it
diminishes the enjoyment of ham radio.

Just like contesting, you can over do number chasing to the extreme.

That's my thought for today.

Thanks for reading,

73 de Phil - N8PS