[RTTY] RM-11708 FAQ posted

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Thu Feb 27 15:10:34 EST 2014

Currently, and applying broadly to the FCC term "RTTY",  97.307(f)  - "The
symbol rate must not exceed 300 bauds, or for frequency-shift keying, the
frequency shift between mark and space must not exceed 1 kHz. "
That means two-tone FSK RTTY at up to 300 baud and up to 1000 Hz shift is
permitted, and has a bandwidth of 1500 Hz* (not 500 Hz).  Digital emissions that
do are not subject to the "or for frequency-shift keying, the frequency shift
between mark and space must not exceed 1 kHz" restriction of 97.307(f) are
subject ONLY to the 300 baud restriction (there are several ham digital
non-voice modulations in use with up to about 2400 Hz BW today: G-TOR, PacTor,
Clover are specifically listed by the FCC; there are more). If one choses to,
and has a good reason to, one could legally occupy, as I stated, in the 100's of
kHz.

So many of us see and understand that the technology has outpaced the out dated
97.307(f), since it restricts the bandwidth of two-tone FSK RTTY ONLY, and not
any other digital modulation. But the 300 baud limit can render many other
digital modulations very spectrum inefficient (but not illegal) without limiting
their bandwidth.

RM 11708 seeks to replace that 97.307(f) phrase with "The authorized bandwidth
is 2.8 kHz."

*See US CFR 2.202 for bandwidth calculation of two tone FSK RTTY:   BW =
BaudRate + 1.2Shift = 300+1.2(1000) = 1500 Hz.

-Kai, KE4PT