[RTTY] RTTY skimmer observations

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Mon Jan 6 07:52:10 EST 2014

I was seeing a lot more RTTY (DL4RCK) skimmer spots this past weekend during the test, and that was a good thing. I was spotted more that 100 times in my runs. I entered as "assisted" aka "unlimited".

I also noticed that some of the most prolific running stations, had a long trail of skimmer spots for their callers, and this was with my packet timeout of 10 minutes. This same thing happens in CW skimming but way way less often. I wonder if there's some specific "QSL (caller) QRZ?" Macro that was setting this off or it was something else.

It is also likely that many of these most prolific stations were turning around from caller carrier to runner carrier so fast that there was no detectable gap (don't know if that matters for RTTY skimmers). With everyone effectively zero beat in a RTTY test this also confuses my ear which expects some sort of carrier gap in a turnaround.

I don't mind too  much when the new mult DX callers get spotted and I can see them working their way up the band from the pattern of spots :-).

Also all the skimmer spots seem 300-400Hz too low. The manually entered spots seemed to be within 100Hz. Not a big deal for me (as I know to inspect spot source) but I'm sure it confused some others.

Also I note (not skimmer related), many of my most effective run freqs were high in the bands way away from the thickest crowds.

Tim N3QE