[RTTY] Cut Numbers Revisited

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Jan 7 16:34:43 EST 2014

> I had one station in Ohio (I won't give his call) that was sending a
 > report of TOO 9h. When I asked his State he kept repeating 9h.

Those weren't CUT NUMBERS - your decoder was in the wrong LTRS/FIGS
shift.  Check the top two rows of the keyboard to see the relationship
between 1/q, 2/w, 3/e, 4/r, 5/t, 6/y, 7/u, 8/i, 9/o and 0/p ...

> I was just about ready to send him a NIL (Not in Log) response in
> the contest when he sent me OHIO. Nobody should have to spend time
> when running or S&Ping to try to figure out what somebody is sending.

If you do any serious amount of RTTY you learn to recognize when the
shift is wrong and translate yourself.  Several of the better programs
will do the conversion automatically if one uses shift-click or
hovers the mouse in the correct area of the screen.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV