[RTTY] The Empire Strikes Back....... RM-11708

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Jan 7 18:54:45 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq at ambersoft.com> wrote:
> I particularly liked this part:
>
> "The counterproposals contained in some opposing comments of a 1 kilohertz or a 2.2 kilohertz limit are intended to preclude most
> data emissions at MF and HF. They are therefore unreasonable on their face, in light of the Commission's recent conclusion that it
> is undesirable to prohibit emissions that are currently permitted. "
>
> To my knowledge, there are no data emissions on MF or HF using bandwidths wider than 2.2 khz.

What's really galling to me is that I know (because you've stated
publicly) you have lobbied the head hired-hand.

Your technical competence should be unquestioned by anyone in the ARRL
hierarchy (whether elected by the membership or hired by the board).

And yet ... your lobbying had no effect.

And worse, we get condescending PR like the excerpts cited in this thread!

I generally like the League and think that they have, on balance, been
good for the hobby.  But in the last few years, they seem to have
become more like their caricature:  Newington Knows Best.

There is an old saying (of disputed origin - I just googled!) that
says that "the fish rots from the head down".  First time I heard
that, I thought "hmmm" ... but since then, through a bunch of
different employers I've found it to be true.

Unfortunately, the head doesn't plan to retire until 2015 at least.
Not sure that he's driving *this* issue, but he sets the tone.