[RTTY] With XP support ending...

David Cole dave at nk7z.net
Wed Jan 8 21:05:29 EST 2014

That is like asking if my religion is better than your religion...

If you just have to run XP, you could run Virtual Box, it will run ANY
windows program that Windows runs, (any program), because it IS windows
run in a virtual hardware box, running under Linux, and it is fast.  You
actually have to install Windows to the virtual machine.  You must use
Windows update to update Windows, via IE, it really is Windows running
in a controlled box.  You can even for or five Windows box's this way at
once.

This lets you keep the Windows Hard Drive as a file, so you just copy a
large file as your backup.  Then you can run N1MM, (or any other program
you want), under under Linux.  Best of both worlds...

That way when, (not if), your Windows box destroys itself, you just copy
the backup file from last night, (given that your entire windows machine
is a file, you can automate your file copy to happen each night), and
you have the machine EXACTLY as it was the night before.  Plus it's fun
to watch the Windows machine explode inside it's Linux based window...
The Linux machine keeps running, the Windows machine explodes, and is
contained, and you just come from last night's backup.  I keep an image
of my Windows machine for the 1st of every month, and one live each day.
That way if my virtual Windows machine gets hit with a virus, I have a
copy of a non-virused machine from any number of months ago, if it is
not a virus, I come from the nightly backup.

I decided to get off of the Windows merry-go-round last year when I saw
the End Of Life coming for XP.

Plus, the Linux system runs about 2 to 3 X faster than the Windows
system on the same hardware.  Linux really is the way to go if you can
do it.  The installs are a LOT simpler than they used to be...  It is
simpler than an XP install now.  Asks something like 5 or 6 questions,
and it then downloads what it needs, and only what it needs from the
net, does the install, and you are off.  If you use "testing", it is a
rolling install, and you never have to install again, ever...

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net