[RTTY] January 19th: Revenge of the Sith

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Jan 19 14:20:30 EST 2014

 > Nothing about RM-11708 in the agenda.

Wrong:

     * Instructed staff to prepare answers to frequently asked questions
       (FAQs) about the ARRL “symbol Rate” Petition for Rule Making
       (PRM), RM-11708.

Which translated from "Board Speak" means 'Instruct staff to prepare
more lies to buttress the outright grab of CW/PSK/RTTY spectrum by our
friends and their commercial interests since we're too stupid/lazy and
Counsel lacks competence to produce an intelligent proposal for the
Commission.'

The Commission told ARRL *exactly what they wanted* in 2006 (WT 01-140)
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-149A1.pdf>
in the way they handled image modes in the "RTTY, digital" allocations
(yes Virgina, you can even use *analog* image modes in the "RTTY,
digital spectrum even though they are not specifically authorized in
97.305).  If ARRL had proposed modifying 97.305 to place 500 Hz limit
in those areas current designated as "RTTY, digital" and add "RTTY,
Digital" with bandwidth no greater than 2800 Hz to the "Voice, image"
segments, this would have been a *non-issue*.  Yes, the sub-bands for
automatically controlled digital operations would have needed to be
relocated to allow winstink and craptor to utilize the wider modes but
that would have been nothing but a minor ("conforming") adjustment.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV