[RTTY] RM-11708

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Jun 10 13:05:32 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Tom Magarelli <wa2pni at verizon.net> wrote:
>                 Maybe it was noted before.
>                  But is there a time frame when RM-11708 will be reviewed
> and or
>                 voted on by The FCC. Basically when will we know the outcome
> of it ?
>                 Rejected or accepted ?

The comment period never closed, did it?   Usually those are only open
for a fixed period, but I think we're nearly 6 months in at this
point.  If I'm correct then the answer is probably "not any time
soon".

I don't know what happens after an NPRM comment (and reply comment)
period ends.  Does FCC staff (the ones with the brains) review it and
make a recommendation to the commissioners (the ones that take the
money)?  Or do the commissioners scroll through the comments then
vote?  I have no idea (clearly).

I think the commissioners are a little backed up with the growing
protest over Net Neutrality.  Always remember, Tom Wheeler, current
chair of the commission spent decades as head lobbyist for the
cellular and cable industries.  I'm thinking bandwidth of certain
amateur service modes is way down on his list.  Now, if we could
ensure him a job after his term is up ...