[RTTY] Signalink FSK Success! And a very basic question....

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Jun 14 20:20:10 EDT 2014

> I do have one very basic question. What exactly is this transistor
> doing? Why do we need it? Why can't I just plug the TxD lead directly
> into the Signalink?

Serial port signals are bipolar +V/-V.  The FSK input of a transceiver
expects to be connected to a switch which is either open (high
impedance) or closed (low impedance).  The NPN transistor (or a FET,
opto-isolators, etc.) creates a low impedance when the voltage on the
base (grid, LED, etc.) is above a certain level and is high impedance
when the voltage is below that threshold.

Yes, the transceiver *could have* been designed to accept a logic
level directly but FSK inputs were originally driven from the contacts
of the "polar relay" in the mechanical RTTY terminal and that tradition
has simply been carried forward for 60 years or more ...

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV