[RTTY] RM-11708 FCC Site flooded

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Jun 14 12:01:57 EDT 2014

 > In a sense, isn't that indeed related to what RM-11708
 > has proposed to do, destroy Hamband neutrality?

I don't know that one can say there ever was "ham band neutrality"
as for 90 years the Commission has reserved all or part of each
HF band (all bands from 3.5 to 148 MHz) for narrow band modes
(3.5 - 30 MHz) or CW only (50.0 - 50.1 and 144.0 - 144.1 MHz) in
order to protect narrow bandwidth emission types from asymmetric
interference caused by wide band emission types.

RM-11708 seeks to erase what protections still exist at least with
respect to SSB bandwidth data modes (but not digital voice or digital
SSTV which are essentially indistinguishable from SSB bandwidth data
modes).  In 2006, the Commission specifically refused to permit SSB
bandwidth image modes in the narrow band spectrum.  One has to wonder
what part of *NO* the ARRL Board of Directors failed to understand.
The simple solution is a form of "ham band neutrality" allow any
authorized emission anywhere *subject to bandwidth limitations* -
make the traditional "narrow band" segments 500 Hz or less and allow
data modes everywhere subject to the "not to exceed the bandwidth of
an SSB signal".

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV