[RTTY] Teletype pictures! see this video Interview with John Sheetz

WB2COY wb2coy at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 10:16:34 EDT 2014

You can see the interview without having to go anywhere near Facebook at this link:

https://archive.org/details/20030322-bbs-sheetz

I fondly remember many a Sunday afternoon copying RTTY Pix on my old Model 19 and 28 using an ST-6 decoder back in the 70's.

John talks about a RTTY Art contest.... I actually entered one in 1977 and even found a website with an archive of old artwork that
had my entry! Not very good, but it was fun trying it out. I believe I copied some pix directly from Don, WA6PIR (mentioned in the
interview), but by far most of my copy was from WA0CKY (Ricky) somewhere in the mid-west. Still have a box of paper tapes in the
attic somewhere! All the old equipment is gone, except for a Kleinschmidt (SIC) machine. Used ro have reperfs and standalone
tape readers. I miss the smell of machine oil and the wastebasket full of chad from the tape punch!

I learned a lot from the interview about how WA6PIR created his artwork. I often wondered how he did it so well.

A nice nostalgic look at my past. Worth a look-see for any old timers out there, or any 'youngsters' who were wondering how RTTY
got started.

73 Bob WB2COY