[RTTY] About N4II's experiment...

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Mar 14 19:20:38 EDT 2014

Your BS detector should have certainly gone off - Wikipedia: "In
telecommunication and electronics, baud (/ˈbɔːd/, unit symbol "Bd") is
synonymous to symbols per second or pulses per second."  As long as the
alleged 1 ms pulses don't happen more than 150 times per second they
would have met the 300 baud test.  Baud does not define the duration
(or duty cycle) of the pulse only the frequency (or repetition rate)
of the pulse.

Further, the duration of the pulse should be immaterial in measuring
the propagation delay if one is measuring arrival of the leading edge
of the pulse.  Finally, since the pseudo random nature of the pulse
train is known one can also compare the elapsed time between leading
edges with the actual transmission data just as easily as one can
measure the absolute length of the pulse.  Measuring the time between
pulses is probably more accurate (if the experiment requires knowledge
of changes in propagation delay) than measuring the pulse length as
any measurement error would be a smaller fraction of the larger
interval.

Even a BA in Communications can distinguish when PhD means piled higher
and deeper ...

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV