[RTTY] About N4II's experiment...

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 15 07:04:50 EDT 2014

All very interesting but if you really want to measure this stuff then you
need to talk to Peter Martinez, G3PLX he has been doing it for years.

The best way is to use a chirp signal that is within the normal SSB
bandwidth. Using this one can separate out the different path times as well.
By using GPS time sync at the TX end and the RX end it is possible to very
accurately measure the path(s) delay time between the two. This can only be
done after calibrating for the equipment delay times.

By integrating the signal over a longish period of time then the power
required can be very low yet still give  very accurate measurements. It is
even possible to measure multi-hop backscatter reflections useful for
propagation measurement.

If you want to do it over a very wide bandwidth then there are plenty of
chirp sounders around that can be used. They start at a low frequency then
scan higher normally at a GPS accurate 100KHz per second. By locking a
receiver onto the scan rate and start time of the chirp sounder it is
possible to use them as a ionospheric bi-static RADAR. The beauty of using
this method is no transmitter is required as it already exists for free. So
no need to bother the FCC...

However like I said G3PLX is the guy to talk to on this.

73 David G3YYD