[RTTY] Digital Operators Band Plan Committee - Current thoughts and status

Dave AA6YQ aa6yq at ambersoft.com
Mon Mar 17 18:28:40 EDT 2014

>>>AA6YQ comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: RTTY [mailto:rtty-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of John Becker
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 5:38 PM
To: rtty at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Digital Operators Band Plan Committee - Current thoughts
and status

Auto sub band was created to reduce QRM from the PACTOR ect mode so called
robots. The only problem was that others would wonder and then complain when
QRM'ed. To bad that all "will" not use that suggestion.

>>>W0JAB, continuously repeating a falsehood does not make it true.  The
FCC's rationale for adopting 97.221 is here:

<http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/Orders/1995/fcc95163.txt>

The FCC states in paragraph 6.

"We do recognize the concerns of those who oppose the proposal on the basis
of potential interference, and in response to these concerns we are limiting
when automatic control can be employed.  First, the control operator of the
station that is connected to the automatically controlled station must
prevent the automatically controlled station from causing interference.
Second, we are designating subbands to which transmissions between two
automatically controlled stations are confined.  These subbands are a small
portion of the spectrum otherwise available for digital emission types.  We
also are confident in the ability of the amateur service community to
respond, as it has in the past, to the challenge of minimizing interference
with novel technical and operational approaches to the use of shared
frequency bands."

In paragraph 7, the FCC states

"Nothing in the rules that we are adopting prohibits other stations from
continuing to share these subbands."

The 97.221 sub-bands were created so hams could find ways for automatic and
attended operation to co-exist -- not so that automatic stations would have
an exclusive set of frequencies within which to operate.

          Dave, AA6YQ