[RTTY] Digital Operators Band Plan Committee - Current thoughts and status

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Mon Mar 17 20:27:14 EDT 2014

On Mar 17, 2014, at 5:05 PM, Terry wrote:

> The wording that I saw was:  "A RTTY, data or multiplexed emission using an
> unspecified digital code under the limitations listed in§ 97.309(b) of this
> part also may be transmitted."   I assume that was added to allow Pactor 4.

The unspecified code clause is still in place even if RM-11708 is accepted with no modification by the FCC.  The ARRL proposal for §97.307(f)(3), as amended, reads:

"Only a RTTY or data emission using a specified digital code listed in § 97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted.  The authorized bandwidth is 2.8 kHz."

I believe there is an expectation that SCS will release the Pactor-4 protocol, else it will remain illegal even if FCC allows 2.4 kHz wide signals.

Currently, it is illegal to use Pactor-4 on amateur bands in the US due because of two reasons: 1) it exceeds legal bandwidth, and 2) the codes (convolution codes, encryption, etc) that it use are not publicly documented.

73
Chen, W7AY