[RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 135, Issue 33

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Wed Mar 19 14:34:19 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Michael Adams <mda at n1en.org> wrote:

> I would be careful about wielding arguments relying on "need" or "availability of other services" around.
>
> In this day and age, what is the "need" for amateur radio in general?   If communications via amateur radio are supposed to be limited to incidental communications not possible by other services...well, what does that really mean in a world where the internet is available on a 24/7/365 basis by satellite at most latitudes?

It doesn't mean what your straw man says it means.  Here it is, again,
from the rules:

§97.113   Prohibited transmissions.

(a) No amateur station shall transmit:

(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be
furnished alternatively through other radio services.

Nothing there prohibits anything your straw man brings up, the key
words being "on a regular basis".