[RTTY] Pactor 3 demo

Terry ab5k at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:27:48 EDT 2014

Yesterday a few of us witnessed a demonstration of Winlink using the PACTOR
3 waveform.    A simple one line email was sent from a EOC center in North
Texas to one of the Winlink stations in Central Texas around 6:00 PM CST.
The demonstration was monitored at a station in-between.   The demonstration
was done on 40 meters just above 7.100 MHz.    Prior to the start of the
demonstration, at the monitoring station, we observed an existing SSB
conversation going on just slightly off the frequency and a CW station
calling CQ on the frequency.     After the demonstration was complete the
SSB station was still there but the CW station was gone.   The transfer was
not timed but it was quick (probably two minutes) .

So  I want to retract my earlier comments about Winlink being slow.     The
demonstrated QRMing is a concern.

Thanks,

Terry