[RTTY] QST article about Win XP

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Sun Mar 23 18:04:26 EDT 2014

The only difference between a custom install of Windows and a clean install is that the former retains the old windows directory (so you could, if motivated, set the computer up to dual boot) while the latter overwrites the SystemRoot directory.

If you've found a third-party utility that allows you to restore the settings from an old install of Windows to a new, great.  But it's not supported by Microsoft and it's not an "upgrade" in the sense that a Vista to Windows 7 or XP to Vista upgrade is accomplished out-of-the box with those versions of Windows.

Yes, the result is the same, which is why I pointed out that the definition of "upgrade" is important.

For me, I've rarely found a situation where automating the transfer of settings and programs outweighed the advantage of a clean install of the operating system. Eliminating the various mismatched dll's that hang around due to the installation of different versions of redistributable components that are shared with the operating system always pays off.  If you only have 1 PC, that sucks big time because it's likely you have a ton of software.  With a dedicated radio PC, it's much simpler, at least for me. Save settings, reinstall DXlab, N1MM, MMTTY and I have most of what I need to be on the air.

Al
AB2ZY