[RTTY] Lack of RTTY on 40 and 80 Meters

Jim AC0E ham at odsgc.net
Mon Mar 24 13:02:07 EDT 2014

David,
  That is a good question.

  I don't operate 40 and 80 during the daylight hours very often.
At my QTH 80 meters is quite noisy (s7-9+) and so I mainly operate NTS
CW nets on 80 meters. While 40 is much less noisy but it depends where
on 40 you are looking as 7080-7100 is very quiet for RTTY most of the
action I find is 7035-7060.
RTTY contest weekends are a different matter.
In addition, many are using spotting software and go to where the action
is ( I do this quite often) and do not spin the dial or call CQ to
strike up a QSO.

73 ~ Jim AC0E