[RTTY] Lack of RTTY on 40 and 80 Meters

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Wed Mar 26 08:30:30 EDT 2014

Contest-wise, 40 and 80 have always been the "money bands" for me when domestic contacts are allowed. A west-coaster might disagree with me and favor the high bands.

Also contest-wise, in e.g. WPX RTTY, 40M and 80M QSO's are worth double points, so domestic contacts count for almost as much points as EU contacts on the high bands.

Contest-wise, 80M bandspace is a bit cramped limited, with the 3600kc cutoff on top.

Non-contest-wise, 40M was always the favorite hangout of casual domestic evening RTTY operation dating back to my first involvement in RTTY in 80's.

Every Thursday evening the NS RTTY is on, I find some casual domestic or DX RTTY operation on 20M and 40M before the start.

W1AW/portable activations have also been very noticeable on 40M/80M/30M in the evenings here.

Tim N3QE