[RTTY] Lack of RTTY on 40 and 80 Meters

Kai k.siwiak at ieee.org
Wed Mar 26 10:22:44 EDT 2014

Chen,
In a fortuitous combination of insomnia, persistence and luck, I worked K5D
(Desecheo Island) on 160 m SSB. So what's so special about that?
I was pumping 100 W PEP into an inverted "L" in my attic (see /An All-band Attic
Antenna/, */QST/*, Oct 2007, pp 33-37.). I estimate about 2 W EIRP from that
radio/tuner/"L" combinations. "Just for grins" I tuned around their 160m band
announced spot and heard a carrier signal, tuning up. Not to clear headed at 4
AM, I sent my call sign twice. They came back with "again, K4 what?". It took
several minutes to get that full exchange, an I have the QSL card for proof.
More than just luck, the gentlemanly behavior of other hams was a big factor.
When we were finally through, pure bedlam burst out on the frequency. But I was
the lucky number one in the log that day - and I tried! (The story of my bleary
eyed XYL coming into shack asking "why are you yelling into the mic at 4 AM?" is
for another time...solved by roses and dinner. She's a ham, she understood.)

The moral? Rub amber against silk near a wet noodle at 45.45 baud so that the
sparks look like RTTY if you must, but try anything. My wet noodle in the attic
is particularly effective at receiving 160 m (a nise figure consideration), I
heard them when others locally couldn't on their full length dipoles. But the
antenna is terribly inefficient on transmit.

Use what ever you can fit on you postage stamp sized lot, but TRY! The
satisfaction of a completed QSO under non-ideal circumstances is difficult to
express. There are effective small directional receive antennas for 160 m, and
you can top load a tower, or use a dipole as a top hat for its feed line for
transmit, but try! My DXCC count on 160m is just 7 with that antenna, because I
tried.

A RTTY QSO can be 13 dB more effective than SSB, and just 4 dB worse than CW
[/How much "punch" can you get from different modes?/*/QST/, Dec 2013* pp
30-32], so try!

Good luck, and TRY! Get your call sign out there on any available "wet noodle".
Chen's words ring true! See [ /"160 Meters - or bust" *QST Mar*/*2014* pp 38-39.]

73
Kai, KE4PT