[RTTY] Band Plan Points

George Henry ka3hsw at att.net
Sun Mar 30 00:09:55 EDT 2014

I'll chime in on this one...  I tested the PC-ALE program a couple of years
ago and, while its busy-channel detection worked well for other ALE signals,
it would key up over just about every other type of signal I fed it,
including SSB voice, RTTY, SSTV, and CW.  Makes sense, since ALE was
designed for dedicated governmental/military communications channels, not a
non-channelized multi-modal environment like the amateur bands. Don't know
whether the current version has improved on it or not, as I refuse to join
the HF-Link Yahoo group just to be able to download it.

The client version of RMS Express for Winlink 2000 will warn you that a
channel is busy, but you can force it to transmit anyway.  I have heard a
gateway station on 14.084 respond to queries while RTTY signals were
present, but that could be the "hidden transmitter" effect.

George, KA3HSW