[RTTY] Hardes RTTY Station to Work - EVER

Dick Kriss aa5vu at att.net
Sat May 17 12:50:03 EDT 2014

It Sat, 17-May at about 1515z and i have spent (wasted) three plus hours trying to work W1AW/0 (SD) on 18.105 RTTY.  W1AW/0 (SD) has an excellent, easy to print signal but really seems deaf. I have tried every trick I know and he does not hear.  His macros are perfect but i have no idea what he means by UP.

- I have tried up 1, up 2, up3, up 4 and up 5 and nothing seems to work.

- i listened for other stations working him and tried to tail gate and that did not work

- I don’t think the problem is on my end as I saw a spot and worked W1AW/0 (SD) on 10 meter RTTY with one or two calls.

- He seems to be working a number of JA stations that I cannot hear so my conclusion is he has a very good beam that is fixed and has a really good null in my direction.

- I have tried parking 2 or 3 UP and waiting for the next “...TU W1AW/0 UP” and that was another time waster.

I finally gave up. Some things in life are just too hard. I have no idea what the operator means by UP

73 Dick AA5VU

As the UA’s say Deaf as a Tochilo