[RTTY] Hardest RTTY Station to Work - EVER

Ron Kolarik rkolarik at neb.rr.com
Sun May 18 14:00:31 EDT 2014

I had never worked a massive pileup from the "dark side" before this
operation either. Learning under fire will either make or break you,
I did learn a lot of tricks that will be handy when chasing DX from the
"pileup" side.

Shelby, and anyone else planning on running W1AW/x, I would suggest
posting a public schedule of bands/times/modes for your time on. It worked
well for us during the Nebraska activation and very easy to point the
guys with special requests to it. On RTTY a macro that said "schedule at
k0ha.com W1AW/0 CQ" took care of most of it, the CQ at the end was very
important. Also watch the cluster and when the inevitable whiners show up
post the schedule link there. My favorite was "turn your beam this way",
yup, get right on it and I'll run out and turn the vertical now :). I don't know how
other groups are scheduling but we had assigned band/mode/times to avoid
problems. Our schedule could also be changed on the fly if an op couldn't make
the slot or another band was better suited at the time. Only the operators could
change the schedule, on-line spreadsheet, and if you decide to go this route
make sure the public version has no callsigns to avoid getting flooded with QSL
cards.

73,
Ron
K0IDT