[RTTY] OT Computer Assistance

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Sat Nov 22 11:41:41 EST 2014

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 10:00:01 -0600, James wrote:

>Others have mentioned the freely downloadable Open Office and there is Office Libre (I think it's called). All are fully compatible with all the usual formats.

REPLY:

I have used both OpenOffice and LibreOffice and they both work well
and they are both completely free. As I understand it, LibreOffice was
a spinoff from OpenOffice and the difference between them is
negligible. Some say LibreOffice has better support, but I think it's
pretty much a coin toss.

As I see it, there is no reason to buy Office from Microsoft. Either
of the above will do everything you want, with the exception of a mail
program, but for that you can download Thunderbird for free.
Thunderbird is an outstanding replacement for Outlook or Outlook
Express. There is a small learning curve, but not bad. For example,
the way you start and stop a Power Point presentation is different,
and minor things like that.

There is another email program called Agent by Forte, which I use.
Agent is not free, but I use it because it gives better control over
fonts, which helps my tired 'ol eyes.

73, Bill W6WRT