[RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Oct 2 12:12:32 EDT 2014

No experience with them but try the GearHead 89 key keyboards:
<http://www.amazon.com/89-Key-Mini-USB-Windows%C2%AE-Keyboard/dp/B0036WTWX0>

At $10.30 it may be worth a try even if the feel is crap and you
end up throwing it away and getting a $250 keyboard <G>.  There
are several other manufacturers listed at Amazon ... all with
89 key keyboards in the 12.5" wide range at prices < $25.00.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 2014-10-02 10:56 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> [...]
>>> techniques,
>>> along with others, is "best" in each distinctly specific QSO situation.
>>> In
>>> general, what I've found most effective for me, after thousands of hours
>>> in
>>> RTTY contests, is to use the keyboard as much as possible and the
>>> trackball
>>> (or, mouse if that's your preference) only where necessary.  Furthermore,
>>> only a very few keys are actually used on the keyboard.  They are used as
>>> single presses for a specific function.  It is very rare that I touch
>>> type,
>>> unless I got to keyboard mode to actually converse with someone.  For
>>> example, I may go to keyboard mode and tell someone they are 220Hz low in
>>> frequency.
>>>
>>> I try to do everything I can from the keyboard.  I use ESM (Enter Sends
>>> Message) or what some call the stateful Enter key.  The Enter key sends
>>> different messages depending on the state of the QSO.  Very unnerving for
>>> some; very natural for others.
>>>
>>> Enter: sends the CQ message if no call sign in the Entry window.  Sends
>>> the
>>> QSL message if there is a call sign in the Entry window and the cursor is
>>> in
>>> the exchange field.
>>>
>>> Apostrophe: Grabs the last highlighted call sign (or a new mult) if there
>>> is
>>> no call sign in the Entry window, then sends the Exchange message.  Sends
>>> the Exchange message if there is a call sign in the Entry window.
>>>
>>> Semi-colon: Sends 'TU <current call sign> .. NOW' and logs the QSO.  This
>>> key is always followed by the Apostrophe key because it assumes a call has
>>> been popped from the call sigh stack into the Entry window.
>>>
>>> Open Square Bracket: Sends my call.
>>>
>>> Close Square Bracket: Sends my S&P Exchange message.
>>>
>>> Left Trackball button: clicking on a call sign or exchange element copies
>>> it
>>> into the Entry window.
>>>
>>> Right Trackball button: clicking on a call sign copies it onto the bottom
>>> of
>>> the call sign stack.
>>>
>>> Therefore, in the simplest case where there is only one caller to my CQ
>>> and
>>> their call sign is highlighted by WriteLog, I simply press Apostrophe.  If
>>> their exchange has info I need to put in the Exchange field of my Entry
>>> window, I click on it using the trackball.  HOWEVER, sometimes it is
>>> easier
>>> to type the info.  "It depends" on what the info is.  For example in CQ WW
>>> RTTY I often typed the two-letter QTH abbreviation rather than using the
>>> trackball.  That can be done with two presses of the index finger, i.e.,
>>> touch typing not required.  After finishing the received exchange, I press
>>> Enter to QSL the contact.  If the exchange is prefilled, then all I am
>>> for each QSO is simply pressing Apostrophe and then Enter.  If no one