[RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Sat Oct 4 12:30:05 EDT 2014

If you're using one-computer-per-radio and are using Windows, take a look at Multiplicity (http://edgerunner.com/multiplicity)

Multiplicity is a virtual KVM switch.  You run it on two or more computers, and it allows you to take mouse and keyboard input from one computer to drive multiple computers connected via IP.  Properly set up, the effect is similar to having multiple monitors on your desk.

I've been using it for years.  It isn't necessarily intuitive to set up, and I have had an occasional glitch, but it beats having multiple keyboards and multiple mice/trackballs if you have to use multiple computers.

Warning: if using it for with shack computers that will be doing digital modes, I recommend disabling audio-sharing between computers in Multiplicity.

There is (was?) also a free, multi-platform program called Synergy that claims to do much the same thing.  I tried it several years ago; at that time it had issues, but if it's still around and actively maintained, I suspect it has improved.

Michael Adams | N1EN | mda at n1en.org