[RTTY] Getting spotted by RTTY skimmers

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Mon Sep 29 15:09:18 EDT 2014

There are notes in the second section of http://wz7i.com/cw-skimmer/rtty-skimmer.html

The primary trick is to leave trailing whitespace at the end of the over.   I used "TEST N1EN N1EN CQ " («note the space) and "TU N1EN CQ " («again, the space) and had almost no problems getting picked up.

I did get spotted multiple times while S&Ping, but I think that was a function of being fast on the draw, so that the skimmers could likely have seen " CQ KA0XTT KA0XTT CQ N1EN N1EN N1EN "   A few times, the S&P spots even came through tagged as "skimqsy" or "skimvalid" in the CT1BOH logic.

I apparently need to learn patience.  :)

I do think that the smaller number of RTTY skimmers online, and the challenges of decoding RTTY vs. CW probably contribute to the reduced likelihood of getting spotted by a RTTY skimmer versus a CW skimmer, especially on 80.

Michael Adams | N1EN | mda at n1en.org