[RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:54:32 EDT 2014

I have been following the "where to do CRLF" threads for a while now. I did
some RTTY 30+ years ago so I can certainly appreciate that too many CRLF
can waste paper :-)

I can kinda appreciate that scrolling text makes it difficult for some to
point and click on a call. Still I have to wonder:

Roughly what fraction of RTTY contesters prefer to never take their hands
off the keyboard and to type the callsign of the caller (or maybe use the
"grab" function via keybaord)?

What fraction really prefers point-and-click to grab calls?

I personally despise ever having to use the mouse when running on CW, in
part because if I am going to take a hand off the keyboard, I would rather
have it go to the paddle rather than the mouse.

If I am typing in a call, then I get full advantage of SuperCheckPartial to
help me narrow in and fix busted calls before the QSO, no matter what the
mode. I suppose there is still some value in SCP if you click on a busted
call (instead of building it up letter-by-letter) but that's not how I've
learned to use it.

Tim N3QE