[RTTY] 2016 RTTY Roundup Multis==Unlimited?

Ed Muns ed at w0yk.com
Thu Dec 31 03:29:22 EST 2015

The rules for all ARRL contests are a little tricky to understand because
there are THREE sets of extensive rules that must be taken as a whole.
They are hierarchical, meaning that the specific contest rules, e.g., RTTY
Round-Up supersede the General Rules for HF Contests, which in turn
supersede the General Rules for all ARRL Contests. You literally must read
all three sets of rules to understand the rules for a given contest.

The RTTY Round-Up only has one miulti-op category: Multioperator, Single
Transmitter.  The General Rules for HF Contests say:
*2. Entry Categories:* The following categories are defined for ARRL
contests on bands below 30 MHz. See the rules for each contest to determine
which categories apply and whether additional categories exist for that
contest.
Therefore, even though the General Rules for HF Contests list three
multioperator categories, only the first one is used in RTTY Round-Up.

I'm not aware of any contest where any of the multi-op categories are
"unassisted".  Assistance is always allowed in all multi-op categories.
This is explicitly spelled out by the ARRL for all ARRL contests in the
General Rule:

   1. 3.7.2.2. Multioperator and Single Operator Unlimited (Assisted)
   stations may use spotting nets.  Since neither the HF General Rules nor the
   RTTY Round=Up rules contradict this rule, it applies.  So Packet, local
   or remote Skimmer, Reverse Beacon Network, etc. are all allowed for all
   multi-op categories (and, single=op unlimited (assisted) categories).

In the single-op (unassisted) categories, no spotting assistance is
allowed.  Single channel (single signal) RTTY decoders are allowed.

Ed W0YK

   1.