[RTTY] WHY put CQ at the end?

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 14:15:41 EST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Don Hill AA5AU <aa5au at bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> I think having CQ at the end of your CQ message facilitates you being
> spotted by a skimmer but this is not exactly know even after
> reading the RTTY Skimmer user manual located here:
>
> http://www.dxatlas.com/RttySkimServ/Files/RttySkimServ.pdf
>
> The "CQ synonyms" are described under the Contests.ini section. It does
> not specifically state whether or not CQ has to be at the
> start or end of the message.

I am now reading this for the first time. I noticed this in the section
on RttySkimServ.ini -

"The CqOnly setting determines whether RTTY Skimmer Server will spot all
RTTY
stations it decodes, or only those determined to be CQ-ing."

The default setting according to the manual is:

CqOnly=0

Note that nowhere is the setting 1 or 0 actually defined. I know what my
first guess would be, and the default would seem to be to spot all
stations, but that's just assuming.

Just an observation. If people are installing the skimmer without setting
this appropriately, that could be the issue. 73 jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff at gmail.com