[RTTY] WHY put CQ at the end?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Feb 18 07:56:55 EST 2015

A couple of points need to be made here.

Precisely because of the relative verbosity of RTTY- things like
repeating callsigns of both stations, adding CQ at the end of messages,
and so on- RTTY Skimserv has adopted a contest-specific approach to
determining when a transmission is a CQ and when it is part of an
exchange between stations that have already established contact.  These
definitions are contained in a separate contests.ini file.  To use them,
the RTTY Skimserv operator needs to manually select the appropriate one,
as well as manually changing the definitions of RTTY segments from
normal to contest use so as to cover all the frequencies in use.

Remembering that RTTY Skimserv was only released last month, it should
not be surprising that these contest-specific definitions still need
work.  As of now, there is no CQWPXRTTY section in the contests.ini
file.  I tried using an experimental definition that one of the alpha
testers had written, only to discover that, for me at least, it was not
forwarding any spots.  I then switched to the ARRL RTTY Roundup
definition, and spots began to flow.  Was it optimum? Probably not. How
well did it do at distinguishing CQers and non-CQers? Only detailed
analysis will tell us.  I don't hear very well, but I did make
approximately 25,000 RTTY spots per day over the weekend.

A second point - some of the RTTY spots seen on the RBN this weekend
were contributed by another decoding application, RCKRtty, written by
DL4RCK.  It works entirely differently from RTTY Skimserv, scanning the
RTTY segments one band and 3 KHz at a time, but it also spots PSK
stations.  Because of this, we've encouraged him to continue supporting
RCKRTTY, and his users to continue feeding spots to the RBN.  That's why
you'll see occasional BPSK spots on the network.  I can't address how,
or how well, RCKSkimmer discriminates between CQers and callers.

Finally, intelligent use of Bandmaps can help a lot.  If you see
multiple stations, seeming to be on exactly the same frequency, that
shouldbe a pretty good clue that someone on that frequency is confusing
things, and that maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

I hope this is helpful.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,