[RTTY] NAQP Question

Chris Plumblee chris.plumblee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:39:31 EST 2015

I believe the rules were amended in the 1990s for all modes of the NAQP to
ban external amplifiers. Some guys were making arguments like "my old TS440
will only do 50w, so I use it at 10w to drive my Alpha to 100w." Others
said they were concerned with the longevity of their equipment if they had
to run their exciters at 100w; couldn't they just drive an amp instead?

One message I recall said something like "what do the organizers care
whether my 100w comes from a transistor or an 8877?"

As I recall, the folks who were running the NAQPs at that time, and who had
a hand in getting them started, stated unequivocally that the intention of
the 100w power limit had been to have ops use only barefoot transceivers.

I'm sure the details are in the cq-contest archives somewhere.

73, Chris WF3C

Message: 10