[RTTY] Naqp rules about power

Yahoo Email via RTTY rtty at contesting.com
Thu Feb 26 18:37:59 EST 2015

Interesting comments about power and amplifiers.  Based on these comments and my personal station issues, I sent the following message to Mark Aaker supporting a change in the rules to just "100 watts maximum power". This supports one of the messages suggesting KISS is best.  Mark responded saying he would make sure they re-evaluate the rule before next year.

>>> I saw your response to Cheryl's regarding a rule change to just limit the power to 100 watts and I support this change.  I own two ft-2000's, one is a "d" model rated at 200 watts (100 watts recommend max on rtty) and a standard model (50 watts recommended on rtty).  One is at home and one is at my cabin so they aren't sitting side my side.  You might ask what's the big deal - it's only 3 db.  But how many hams choose their beams based on a lot less than 3db gain.  If you would say the max power is 100 watts,  I'll abide by that rule - just as when there is no power restriction, I'll stay within the legal limit.  There are lots of ways to cheat in contests but I believe most operators are honest and stay within the rules.

>>> By the way, I've never entered this contest before so this is a "newbe" comment.  Just retired and now have time for contests so I'm trying to decide which ones to participate in ( I.e. The 160 meter ssb contest or yours)

>>> Thanks for your consideration.

>>> Rich

>>> W0elt

If there isn't a rule change, I guess I'll just have to make sure I've got the "d" model at the station where I want to run this contest.  Seems like a lot of work but I've done a lot more for 3db in a contest - even though I'm not a contender for winning - it's all about the "fun factor" and starting with a signal 3 db down isn't as much fun.  Of course I'd rather just use the standard ft-2000 with my small amp to get 100 watts.

Rich
W0elt

Sent from my iPad