[RTTY] RTTY & Digital Interference problems

Jeff Stai wk6i.jeff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 20:19:16 EST 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists at subich.com> wrote:

>  ... and what is a "hoot" about good operating practice or have
> RTTY operators forgotten their manners?

"QRL? in their mode"

In other words, given that all digital modes are permitted within the
spectrum allocated to digital modes, and someone may be listening to a
transmission I can't hear, and if I can't hear it I don't know their mode,
you basically suggested that in order for me to begin transmitting a
digital signal, by good operating practice I should toss out a QRL? in all
possible modes first - presumably including modes that require proprietary
modems costing thousands of dollars. That's kind of a hoot.

To bring it back, if we all took the position and "if it sounds like more
than random noise it is a signal" then if I send out a RTTY QRL? and you
make a noise in JT-something (guessing I sent a QRL? because what else
would I do?), I should be able to take that as a "yes" and move on. Good
manners.

73 jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.jeff at gmail.com