[RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Frequency

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Jan 7 14:18:20 EST 2015

> As I've said before, if I can't hear them, they aren't there and on a
> number of non-RTTY digital modes, signals can be at or under the
> noise floor. In fact, some of them are *intended* to pull signals out
> of static. But where are they?

If you are really listening - and in the case of JT modes that requires
the correct software - you will "hear" the signals.  If you just turn
up the AF gain and turn off the preamp in your rig and say you are
"listening" that's not the same thing.  JT65 and JT9 signals can be
seen quite clearly on the waterfall display in MMTTY - even at levels
20 dB or more below the noise in a 3 KHz bandwidth (I'm watching a -24
dB JT9 signal make a clear trace in the MMTTY waterfall on 15 meters
as I write this).

The knowledge that JT65 and JT9 operators use xx.076-xx.080 requires
that other operators make a good faith attempt to listen for those
signals before transmitting in that range.  Otherwise you are no better
than the lids who leave the gain turned down on 7155/7158 and claim
"they did not hear any activity" before calling their buddy across the
street with a KW.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV