[RTTY] Contest QRMing of other digimodes

Dave Barr recordupe at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 16:17:11 EST 2015

I support Ed's statement regarding LID comments from v145/19.

In regard to qrm to other digital modes during contests:  During over 25
years of RTTY contesting, I have never seen the rtty sub-bands without a
lot of room for qrm free contest operation.  We are all discussing the
problems extant at the low end of the traditional RTTY sub-bands.  The
upper ends, with the possible exception of 80 meters, always have plenty
of empty space, even during contests.

Top ends for RTTY operation (at least for the US) are:
80 meters:  3600 (so work lower)
40 meters:  7125
20 meters:  14150
15 meters:  21200
10 meters:  28300

Yes, there has been operation close to the upper limits, but never
without very wide gaps below those top qrgs.   Very easy to avoid psk
and jt's without compromising room to operate.

It would be very interesting to see a list of what frequencies the top
scorers run on, as well as a frequency distribution chart incorporating
data from all contest logs that do report actual qso qrgs.

73
Dave, K2YG