[RTTY] any way

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 20 17:58:11 EDT 2015

With sound card decoders then the limit on dynamic range is the receiver
distortion. If the receiver is at 2.4KHz bandwidth then it will be a
combination of harmonic distortion and Intermodulation products within the
IF and AF stages. These can be minimised by using receiver IF filter set for
no narrower than 350Hz.

Narrower than 350Hz increases group delay distortion that causes Inter
Symbol Interference (ISI). This is where the energy of the previous bit of
the RTTY character is spread in time so it causes interference to the
following bit at the sample point - the receiver can be too narrow.

The dynamic range of a reasonable $25 or more expensive) sound card is
nominally about 90dB. However because of decimation within 2Tone the dynamic
range is a lot more. Do avoid the very cheap $5 cards as I have tested one
of them and they are poor performers.
73 David G3YYD