[RTTY] ARRL Board Meeting - Approved modified HF band plan changes

Art (K5FNQ) k5fnq at lusfiber.net
Sat Jul 25 09:43:00 EDT 2015

And do not forget the complete failure of the "normal" system during and
after the Katrina Hurricane
https://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/docs/advisory/hkip/GSpeakers060306/ACT1045.pdf

http://electronicdesign.com/boards/katrinas-wake-ham-radio-triumphs

and

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/reports/katrina-lessons-learned/appendix-b.html

Other organizations worked tirelessly to assist emergency responders
that, due to the storm, did not have the equipment and means to
effectively carry out their duties. Amateur Radio Operators from both
the*/Amateur Radio Emergency Service/*and the*/American Radio Relay
League,/*monitored distress calls and rerouted emergency requests for
assistance throughout the U.S. until messages were received by emergency
response personnel. A distress call made from a cell phone on a rooftop
in New Orleans to Baton Rouge was relayed, via ham radio, from Louisiana
to Oregon, then Utah, and finally back to emergency personnel in
Louisiana, who rescued the 15 stranded
victims.11<http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/reports/katrina-lessons-learned/appendix-e.html#b-11>Ham
radio operators voluntarily manned the amateur radio stations at sites
such as the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Watch Net, Waterway
Net, Skywarn and the Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network.12
<http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/reports/katrina-lessons-learned/appendix-e.html#b-12>

Art K5FNQ (fr,om Lafayette, La)

On 723 PM, W0MU wrote:
> I have seen those great systems all fail repeatedly in large wildfires
> where most of the arriving help had no way to communicate.
>
> Maybe in a perfect world all those great systems work but in real life
> no way.
>
> I thought we were looking for more people to contest and try other
> parts of the hobby.  The elitism shown below is staggering.
>

> On 7/24/2015 2:38 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>>

>> On 2015-07-24 1:31 PM, W0MU wrote:
>> > Maybe we need to "Market" the fun of HF better to these new hams.
>>
>> Maybe we don't need these Homeland Security wannabes and keystone
>> kops in their yellow vests any more than we need the free maritime
>> e-mail crowd.
>>
>> The communications capabilities (and training) of the local PD, FD,
>> SO, State Police, etc. has already far eclipsed anything in ARES,
>> RACES, etc. while amateur data or CW links are no longer a serious
>> back-up for those services - certainly not like in the days where
>> State Police organizations maintained CW links between their posts
>> to pass bulletins (BOLO, wants/warrants, assistance requests, etc.)
>> county to county for relay to/from the local PD and county SO.
>>
>> Red Cross, CAP, Coast Guard Auxiliary, FEMA, etc. all have their own
>> frequencies/equipment for emergency and daily operations.  None of
>> those agencies require an amateur license but I'm sure most of them
>> would be glad to train volunteers with a communications background
>> in their own operating procedures.  Still, none of that requires
>> access to amateur spectrum or amateur equipment any more that "blue
>> water" e-mail requires access to amateur frequencies/equipment in
>> this era of satellite and commercial HF e-mail services.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>    ... Joe, W4TV

K5FNQ - Art Mouton k5fnq(at)lusfiber.net (or (at)arrl.net) ARRL, QCWA,
CW OPS, Louisiana Contest Club, DXCC Honor Roll (Mixed & CW),
Digital/RTTY DXCC, 5BDXCC, DXCC 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 30, 40, 80 Meters