[RTTY] RTTY popularity in Italy?

iw1ayd Salvatore "Salvo" Irato iw1ayd at gmail.com
Mon May 11 16:10:25 EDT 2015

Me too Tim.

I don't think it's all that popular the RTTY here. There are, it's true,
some aficionados but not that big number and usually not teaming. It's
mistakenly know as slow and not interesting by the major contester that
live in restricted groups. Here distances that are short for the W land
are really far away. Not only for geographical reason. Logger are often
a religious zealots arguments more than a way to learn something different.
IMHO I don't see that much consideration for RTTY. CW is still a
dogmatic way to live for a lot of peoples. Quite nobody understand macro
need and nobody would try to learn more. Each one have his position to
defend.

There wasn't any serious attempt to publish articles dedicated to RTTY.
That was out of one or two articles with some great mistakes inside that
went published in the last ten years of our national association magazine.
Until lately not even the need of a space at the end of a macro with a
callsign or CQq was understood.
Often peoples here do not like to share knowledge, tips or tricks.

Informatics issues are often an obstacle. PC presence and knowledge into
the shack is spread but not all that deep.
Even some call-sign are doing contest activity targeting contest that
they like for different reasons.
RTTY contesting for big guns is aimed to the CQ Contests only. Other are
secondary.

Silly things like "how to modify macros to be more effective" doesn't
sound here.
The standard macro are enough why to change? One of the most used logger
here still have macro named
F1 F2 ... sort of pounding over a learned key: Pavlov?
Worst after 12 hours of MO operation ... " ... so you had made a macro
to repeat report REPEXC. Why do you need it. It's more easy to clunk F5
F2 sequentially ...". Sometimes I desist, that time it was.

That's just my personal opinion, I am not that alone but there is not
such crowd.
I also have limited resources and I was starting since years ago to to
select contest where to participate. But this is for personal
motivations and only after several attempts to get other peoples here
around committed.
I am starting to hate CQ Contests, too much focus from uncommitted HAMs.
The Roundup. the VOLTA, The August SARTG, JARTS and WAE. MS is the
preferred way if not SO2R. But I am still waiting for any incoming call.

Last but not least, at the Italian CTU there wasn't a RTTY speech since
forever, Cinderella. That's not good.

My source of information are only outside Italy. it's great that we have
just one forum where peoples wrote about theirs interfacing problem.
That seem the bigger argument, problems. Would it mean that there are
other field where to find solutions? It could be, I really don't know.

BTW the VOLTA was great, prop was crazy, people not that much, but still
the VOLTA is great. Sparks and smoke from two PAs that wasn't that
great. Here we are, something to be done at least.

             73 de iw1ayd Salvo