[RTTY] SPE 2K-FA amplifier duty cycle

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Mon May 18 06:33:58 EDT 2015

High intensity RTTY contesting consists of 10 to 15 seconds of TX followed
by similar receive times. The worse case I have come across in my operations
is SO1R CQing with no replies where average TX time is about 70%. But in a
high activity contest duty cycle is nearer 40-50% when running. S&P duty
cycle is a lot lower. SO2R CQing will be less than 50% per amplifier.

The thermal inertia of amplifier components is a lot longer than 15 seconds
so that a "brick on Key" rating is not required for contesting.

On the other hand if you are a RTTY rag chewer who types forever on an over
then "brick on key" rating is what you want!

So you may want to ask a slightly different question: What is the maximum
duty cycle over a period of an hour that the amplifier can take at 1500
watts?

73 David G3YYD