[RTTY] IC-7100 FSK connection question

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Fri Oct 9 16:21:32 EDT 2015

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 17:48:51 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>Jim, Billthank you for answer, I change from the
>IC-7000 to the IC-7100 I was using the 7000 with
>FSK, I build the interface, no problem, this one
>use the stereo 1/8 connector for the FSK   the tip
>FSKK, Send and ground ( PTT)  nowin the IC-7100
>I have only the FSKK with the pin 10 Black wire,
> and there is not a PTT(marked) but  I want to
>know if I can use the the VSEND as PTT  because
>the Hsend is now the one thatkey the amp.
>
> J.Hector Garcia  XE2K / AD6D

REPLY:

No, do not use the "SEND" jack for PTT. That is for keying an external
amplifier.  Unfortunately, ICOM uses the word "SEND" in two different
places for two entirely different functions. The other place is on the
ACC-1 connector where "SEND" means PTT. ICOM should change this usage
to avoid confusion. Better terminology would be "AMP KEY" and "PTT".

The 1/8 inch connector labeled "REMOTE" is only for read and write to
the VFO. For PTT and FSK you have to use the ACC-1 connector.

On the ACC-1 connector, using the plug that came with the radio, the
red wire is ground, the orange wire is PTT and the black wire is FSKK.
Note that the red wire is a common ground for both PTT and FSKK.

Also note that the manual calls the FSK keying line FSKK (with the
extra "K"). It means the same thing.

Hope this helps.

73, Bill W6WRT