[RTTY] Contester preference - 1- versus 2-decimal-place spots

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Oct 14 15:42:53 EDT 2015

Good points, Jeff and Ed. Certainly, there's no benefit in moving
someone to 14091.13 rather than 14091.1.

One part of this is the old "accuracy vs precision" conundrum.  Doesn't
do much good to report frequencies with 10-Hz precision if the
frequencies are 120 (or whatever) Hz off.  On the other hand, if you log
spots from stations with GPSDO or TCXO  and compare their spots with
yours, you should be able to adjust your QS1R clock to get closer than
that.  Then, of course, the other problem is oscillator stability; I
don't know of either a quoted spec or measured stability of the QS1R's
internal clock, but I do know the receiver gets hot inside.

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at