[RTTY] JARTS age histogram

pcooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Thu Oct 22 12:38:20 EDT 2015

Hi all,

The age analysis is quite interesting, but I have a few other options that may just be worth considering.

While I agree that it does appear that we are all getting older, and that the lower age groups do not seem to be represented very well, I think this is a world-wide trend for the hobby, not just for RTTY ops.
There is also the possibility that RTTY as a mode just doesn't cut it with some younger contesters.

Now on to my other ideas.....

Maybe JARTS is not a contest that attracts a broad group of ops? It may be that younger ops aren't interested in a contest with this report?

Also possible is that many younger ops were part of a multi-op team, learning the ropes, so gave 99 as an age, and were therefore not counted?

Maybe the idea of setting up a contest station, where a good interface is better means some folk don't bother with the extra expense of such equipment?

It also doesn't consider YL ops, although I only worked two in the contest, so that isn't encouraging either.

I'm not saying these are good explanations, just offering a different slant on what is basically just statistics, and we all know that stats can be made to read all sorts of things!

73 all

Phil GU0SUP