[RTTY] Tinyfsk, 2Tone and USOS

V. Sidarau vs_otw at rogers.com
Tue Sep 29 12:52:12 EDT 2015

Andy,

Are you sure, it is all about USOS? I for one cannot recall the phenomenon
in question before. Looking back, we RTTYers used to use WF1B, RITTY, MMTTY,
MixW for years. The USOS issue was around for years, all horses in the
neighbourhood badly suffered from discussions about that. We all used to
know how to "look North-West", let alone the N1MM extra decoding tools were
also around. But now there is something new.

I don't know what to do and where to look at when totally weird characters
pop up.

Another guy has just sent me a part of his MixW decoding log. In a string of
QSOs a BIG contester sends like, 599 05 .- .- (that's <dit><dot>) instead of
the state of MA. So, the guy asks me, is it yet another tool for catching
cheaters, like these characters are non-decodable for sure and people would
have to check a callbook for a missing state?

Once again, I don't recall problems like that before, albeit I might be
wrong. I can only correlate it with occurrence of new software, i.e. 2Tone
and Gritty. Or is it a hardware (newer radios) issue?

OK I am using MMTTY as a single decoder. If 2Tone manages to read the weird
code, that's great but it would be good to know the culprit and what should
I do if I want to stay with MMTTY alone.

In any case something has to be done in this respect, I don't know what
particularly.

Thanks for reading.

73,

Vlad VE3IAE