[RTTY] Decoder performance on crowded bands

Don AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 30 09:47:42 EDT 2015

According to Pete's (N4ZR) post today, "{enter}WW3S WW3S" is suppose to break the association from the CQ but it doesn't appear to be true in some cases. Putting a C/R L/F {enter} in front of nearly all macros has been preached for years and I believe most operators do this already.
I include a C/R L/F at the start of my macros and I still get spotted quite a bit when S&P. Pete's post did make the suggestion of adding {enter} after the trailing CQ in the message and although it will make the CQ message longer, it might help keep S&P stations from being spotting so I think I will try it in JARTS (if I can remember to do so). If there is a C/R after the CQ and the S&P station sends C/R at the start of his message, perhaps the double C/R will help. I don't know.
Now all this got me to thinking, and I don't know the answer to this, but perhaps if S&P stations wait a little longer before coming back to a CQ station, will it help eliminate the S&P station from being spotted? This is actually good practice anyway. I like to wait just a half second or more after the run stations drops his transmitter to listen to see if anyone (that I can hear) else is calling the CQ station at the same time as me. If so, I send my call 3 times. If not, I send my call 2 times. I wonder if this will also help break the association with the CQ message?
I don't now how much better the skimmer software can be made. But if the operators on this reflector would start implementing changes to our own messages and the way we operate, maybe we can make the skimmer experience a little better.
73, Don AA5AU